One of the trickier aspects of painting the MDF figures which have been occupying my time recently are the cross belts. I'm over 70 now and the eyes are not as good as they were, so painting very thin white lines becomes a hit and miss task at best. So I decided to try one of the newer technologies available paint pens for this. After a bit of research (Ok two minutes reading Amazon reviews) I took the plunge and bought a pack of four from Pinturale Arts. These are two each of 0.7mm and 0.5mm tipped pens which I hoped would create the fine lines I need for cross belts and the edging to horse blankets. I have used permanent ink pens for a number of years but find that they are not always as light fast as claimed so I was not entirely convinced that these would do what they said on the tin.
| These are they (or them?). |
The pens them selves are quite slim so probably don't hold much paint but at under £10 for four that is less of a worry than with the more expensive makes.
| Sorry about the image quality but, you know, a pen is a pen |
To use them simply shake for 30 seconds and pump the nib a few times to prime it and off you go. I tried out the 0.7mm nib and as expected the line was wider than 0.7mm but not by too much and once some of the ink had flowed it became a little more precise. Coverage was good and it is easy to get a line unlike my attempts with a size 00 brush! The label showing the nib size was hard to see so I took the precaution of writing on the barrels with a Sharpie so I can see what's what easily. Once I have some more infantry ready to paint I will try the smaller nib on cross belts and report back.
Smart thinking, Tidy white lines on crossbelts are a proper test for the eyes, so trying out those fine-tip paint pens sounds like a dead sensible solution.
ReplyDeleteAll the best, Andy
Looking forward to seeing how well they work in anger, I could do with some really fine white pens that work.
ReplyDeleteI’d have deffo gone down this route too if I was still working on tiddly minis. Interested to see the results.
ReplyDelete