Friday 22 January 2021

Rules for the ECW have almost reached completion.

Its taken a while, at least a decade in fact, mulling over rules, researching tactics, formations, weapon effects and doing the basic statistics and math to get things balanced but I'm on the finishing straight.  To be honest the core mechanisms have been there almost from day one and have needed almost no amending.  I have been able to play games solo without too many issues for around half of the time I have been working on the rules so the core of the system was something I was happy with.

What delayed matters was getting from the concept in my head to a written document that some body other than me could play the game from.  There were lots of things that I hadn't put down in writing and lets face it the whole point of rules is meant to be that that anyone can pick them up and after a couple of games understand how everything hangs together.  on top of which i wanted them to be laid out in a specific way with section and subsections clearly numbered to aid finding the answers to rule queries quickly and easily.  That took me a while to get to grips with as Words system while straight forward once you get your head around it doesn't work exactly as I want.  Which meant a certain amount of heart ache trying to get it to do things my way.  I failed, repeatedly and often to get the heading numbering system to do what I wanted and in the end I had to create a manual numbering system but that doesn't benefit from the automatic renumbering function when new text is added or old text removed!

So as of today I have all of the play sheets completed, 95% of the rules are done and I'm on to the final editing to ensure internal consistency.  I'm hoping that will take a week or possibly two and then I will have a complete first draft ready to go out to for proof reading/play testing.  I will probably need to add a few more examples and some more illustrations of play but the proof reading should flag those issues up.

I'm aiming to play a few solo games over the next few weeks to test the changes I have made.  So expect some after action reports.  Not quite the first 2021 project done but tantalisingly close!


4 comments:

  1. That’s a lot of work and commitment to get to this stage. I know what you mean about the numbering system in Word. I often end up reverting to the manual method. Are you intending to publish the rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought has crossed my mind based on Trebian's (of the Wargaming for Grown ups blog) experience of using Amazon's kindle publishing service for hard copies on direct delivery to customers. I will see if my ideas survive final play testing.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain. Going through the same process myself at the mo, with my WOTR rules. Stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh WoTR thats one of my things for this year. keep me posted on progress.

    ReplyDelete