Wednesday 9 March 2022

Cold War gone Hot solo campaign - a quick update

In view of the current events in Ukraine I'm shelving the cold war campaign.  It seems incredibly crass to game a Russian invasion while one is under way in real life.  I will dig out FFT again but probably using my 6mm 1940 stuff.  

In the mean time my hopes and best wishes are with the Ukrainian forces.  We have donated to the Red Cross Ukraine fund as there is little else that we can do.  My days of lugging a GPMG or an SLR are long behind me and I was only a weekend warrior in any case but that is enough to give a very small insight into what the defenders and civilian population are facing.  Strangely I have some sympathy for the 18 and 19 year old Russian conscripts, told they were going on exercise and then thrown into a shooting war.  I have rather less for the politicians and senior officers who green lighted the invasion.  

So as a result BAOR will not be facing off against the Red Horde again for the foreseeable future.

4 comments:

  1. I share your thoughts completely. My own Cold War campaign is now in limbo until whenever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree mate. Good decision. Another parallel life experience too - I was a TA soldier in the Fusiliers during the 90´s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on! And kudos to the Russian conscripts , who have decided they want no part in the contemptible Putin's clown car invasion.

    Regards, Chris

    https://notquitemechanised.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel a little late in commenting here, but I couldn't help it. I wrote a piece on my feelings regarding the war and our hobby in my own blog. I was surprised by the polar reactions I got when I posted it to "The Miniatures Page". As an ex-Reg and now MOD civilian I can't help but feel the same as you. The Ukrainians defence, whilst heroic, is also utterly tragic, and I can't help but despair at anyone knowing they've needlessly killed non-combatants (thinking specifically about the children, refuges, and hospitals attacked).

    I've linked my blog and my TMP post should it help you understand your own position more.

    https://www.wargamersbunker.co.uk/2022/03/11/left-of-arc-12-morality-of-hobby-wargaming/

    http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=558707&page=1 (I particular like the last comment in this post)

    ReplyDelete