Thursday 3 October 2024

2024 a bit of an update

While I know it's not the end of the year (yet) I have been having a bit of an annual review.  It stemmed from my going back over my blog posts from the last couple of years.  Some of them were quite good though I say so myself.  One thing I noticed is that 2024 has been a bit quiet by my standards and has lacked variety of content.  The majority of posts were about 2mm pike and shot or the actual armies which were engaged in early 17th century combat in Western and Central Europe.  What was missing was game reports, mainly because I haven't played a lot of games, figure updates, mainly because I haven't done much painting and wargame show attendance reports, mainly because...well, you can see a picture forming here?  It's discouraging really!

All that said though, I have invested in a new set of rules "Strength and Honour" written by Mark Backhouse.  This was because they are intended for 2mm gaming and had good reviews.  There are some really clever mechanisms and I'm hoping to get a game in soon.  I'm also aiming to attend 'The Other Partizan' at Newark later this month, partly to see Strength and Honour in action but also to see the 28mm replay of Lutzen 1632 being staged by re-enacting friends of mine.  Of course some cash will be exchanged for additional toys!  My plan is to buy some of the Antonine Miniatures 2mm ancients blocks and bases from Warbases.  I could also be tempted by some western shoot out figures from Empress Miniatures as they have some rather nice figures based on the movie 'Tombstone' for both the Cowboys and the Earps.  Of course with any luck there will be some catching up with old friends too.

I have also been looking at the lead mountain (ugh!).  It has decreased in size fairly considerably over the last couple of years but there are still some considerable peaks to conquer in the 6mm pile.  Additions to my Dark Ages forces will probably result if I do get back to the painting table.  I'm also trying to resist a small foray into Wars of the Roses in 6mm.  It's been on my want to do list for a very long time and I'm not sure how much longer I can resist temptation for!  The counter argument is that I'm getting older and might never finish painting the figures I already have, let alone get a game in with them, but, you know, "Oooh shiny" and all that.

Right off to have a kip.  It's my 49th wedding anniversary tomorrow and I really need to be on my A game for the benefit* of the current Mrs E on the morrow!

* Not that kind of benefit, you lot have dirty minds!  I have decking to scrub and paint before the winter sets in and I do not want the memsahib having to do it now I'm feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment