Monday 3 August 2015

It's been a busy few days.

Over the weekend just gone I received my copy of DBA 3, had a day with my Sealed Knot regiment at Thorpe Mandeville and managed to do some painting.  So what to write about?

Lets start with DBA, I ordered the rules from Black Hat Miniatures as they actually had stock.  I have to say that the way they dealt with my order was a pleasure to behold.  Email updates on the order progress and a fast turn around. If only all internet shopping was as good.  I'm not going to bore you with yet another personal review of the rules they have been out long enough now for better writers than me to have done the job.  All I'm going to say is that Phil Barker's rules seem to evoke a Marmite reaction in people.  You either love them or hate them.  I like them and don't have any issues with "Barkerisms", now that might have something to do with my job which involves dealing with tax legislation which means that I have experience in dealing with text where not a single word is wasted or used without purpose.  mind you I have been using Mr B's rules since WRG 2nd Edition Ancients.

What I do like is the side support rules for spears it seems to me to help replicate Dark Age shield wall combat.  I can see my Middle Anglo Saxons, Vikings and Pics getting a run out to test the rules.  Which in turn means I better finish painting my latest batch of Baccus 6mm Vikings.

On the painting front I have managed to paint some 2mm EVW foot and have some horse to do next.  I have tried several styles of painting these blocks.  the latest is to undercoat grey dry brush white and use a wash for the main colour finishing by picking out some details.  usually faces, hats and muskets. I will post some pictures of each stage in a few days.

Last but most definitely not least I managed to squeeze some Sealed Knot action into the weekend.  I didn't have chance to take any pictures as I was busy training musketeers but one of my friends did and once I get hold of some of his pictures I will post them.  I find them useful to show me what level of detail can be seen at a distance.

Note for non Brits - Marmite is a yeast based dark brown spread with a strong taste and smell that you will either love or hate.  Me? I love it especially on toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment