Thursday 23 January 2020

Hooked to the silver screen?

Last weekend was a busy one in real life.  On Friday I finished work and then Mrs E and I hot footed it down to Nottingham to see Kaiser Chiefs and Razorlight at the Motorpoint arena.  It was a good night and Razorlight were particularly good.  What confused me were the number of people who couldn't simply watch the gig.  A huge number of people seemed to be treating the event as if it were on TV rather than live.  Sitting there with smart phone in hand having facebook conversations taking selfies and in one particularly weird case buying tickets to see The 1975 while the Kaiser Chiefs were on stage!

Now before you think I was spending my evening staring over other people's shoulders to read their screens, I wasn't, it was so obvious I couldn't ignore it.  One group of three 20 somethings rolled in after KC were on stage and left before they finished and can't have spent more than 10 minutes of the set not glued to their phones.  It felt like 'I'm here, I have told the world I'm here, Kaiser Chiefs seen, check, OK lets go'.  Given that the tickets were over £60 a pop this seems really rather odd.  I suppose I must be getting old!

Saturday morning was taken up by various appointments and Saturday evening we went into Hull for another gig.  This was Holy Holy a rather unusual tribute act, but unusual in a good way.  You see Holy Holy are a David Bowie tribute act made up of well known faces from the music industry including Tony Visconti (Bowie's producer in the early 70's and a member opf his backing band on the pre spiders from mars albums), Woody Woodmansey (one of the original spiders from Mars), Glen Gregory (front man of Heaven 17) and James Stevenson (of The Alarm).  So not really your average band.

Probably because the average age was higher there seemed to be less selfies and face booking going on.  It's probably a nostalgia thing but I enjoyed the Saturday night far more than the Friday night.  Although the fact that I wasn't driving and could have a beer probably helped.


No comments:

Post a Comment