Tuesday 24 March 2020

Locked down and busier than ever



The story so far.  Following on from my healthcheck before Christmas which identified a potential problem further investigations have found two fairly badly blocked coronary arteries.  This in turn led to a nice ride in an ambulance to Scunthorpe's finest (and only) A&E department a fortnight ago. 

Scunthorpe's A&E  has one major advantage which is that it isn't in Hull. While I am as happy as the next man  to watch the antics of some of the world's finest nutters on TV they seem to lack that certain something when viewed live, probably distance and a sense of safety.  At home I never have that sense that at moment someone might clasp me warmly around the throat while enquiry as to the object of my attention.  AKA 'what you looking at pal'.

Hull A&E has a different class of nutter than Scunthorpe, they tend to edge more to the handcuffs are just another class of bling clientele and have a distinct air of I'm not stopping long I have to be back in my cell before lights out.  Scunthorpe boasts the chatty but socially undesirable type of nutter, you know the ones; when faced with tricky purchasing decisions they tend to favour Buckfast's finest falling down water to soap.  Usually they sit next to me on the bus.  Still the care was first class and they even offer tea and toast after a couple or five hours. 


Image result for buckfast label
This is not soap, but it does come in a handy back pocket sized bottle

As a bonus it turns out that:

a) I wasn't having a cardiac event and

b) I don't have Chronic Kidney Disease, which shows how good the medication I have been taking for the last 15 years must be as when I started on it I had stage 3 CKD! (hint there is no cure for CKD and it can't be reversed) 

As a further bonus eventually I was allowed to go home.  This little outing led to one of those interesting chats with my GP, well I say my GP he hasn't been available since 2018 it must have been something I said.  You know the one it starts with 'what seems to be the matter' and responding with 'I was hoping you were going to tell me that' doesn't seem to be the right answer.  Possibly that's why I have seen my actual GP for the last three governments?  Still he did put me on some new medication and sign me off work for two weeks while It took effect, which was good of him.  He didn't realise CKD could be cured either, what is wrong with teaching in medical schools nowadays?  So two weeks with no pesky work getting in the way, what should I do first?  Enter reality stage right.

As Mrs E's broken arm is not allowing her to do as much as she would normally do around the house, my enforced holiday from work slavery turned into work experience of household drudgery!  Who knew that there was so much to do around here!  I have a new found admiration for Mrs E and her ability to keep all the balls in the air and the plates spinning.  If there was a salary to be paid for what she does I have a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't be able to afford her!

The sick note runs out today so it's back to work in the morning, although working from home on reduced duties until I am told what the next stage in dealing with my arteries should be.  Apparently Dyno Rod don't have a medical division so it's looking like surgery will be involved.  The lock down hasn't really impacted as I was already self-isolating much to disgust of our dogs who have missed out on walks for the last week or so.  The streets seem much like they were in my childhood with little traffic and no noise pollution to speak of from the bypass (thats road not heart BTW).

In other news I have reduced the lead pile somewhat in the last two weeks but not as much as I had expected.  On the plus side I have found the 'on' button on the washing machine and have mastered the art of clothes pegs! 

3 comments:

  1. Stay safe an be well. Hopefully see you in Shedquarters when this whole mess has passed on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the plan Graham keep your blog posts coming, they are helping me maintain what little remains of my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete