Wednesday 15 April 2020

Hitting a minor landmark

Just for clarity this is not about traffic accidents, I would have to be allowed outside for that to happen!  No I have finally crawled above 20,000 pageviews.  It only took 104 posts and seven years.  I make that an average of 192 views a post or about 2,850 views a year.  which sounds a lot until you look at the stats for some of the blogs I read.  I still haven't managed to reach a huge number of followers either, clearly I have a select and discerning readership.

The most popular posts were a bit of a mixture.  The 'how to make' and 'how to paint' posts are right up there often with several hundred hits, although they take a while to to build to those numbers. Product reviews and game scenarios are also popular and tend to build up hits much more quickly but to fall away rapidly too.  I suppose I should do more of those things.  What it shows is that there are some core interests that do bring people to the page.

Putting a link on to The Miniatures Page always brings in a good number of hits surprisingly rather more than similar links from Facebook.   Perhaps I should start spamming more forums?

The good news is that this was never about my becoming a web celebrity (good thing really) but more of it being an outlet for my gaming thoughts and obsessions.  Given that I'm a gamer in his 60's sat typing in a back bedroom on a topic that is never going to set the world on fire I think I'm probably doing OK.  So here is to the next 20,000 hits.  I suspect this post will not generate many of them!

2 comments:

  1. Having just recently started with this sort of thing myself, it's interesting to see how it works. I suspect most traffic is coming from other bloggers pages when they kindly add us to their 'my blog list'. You have the seal of approval from the esteemed MS Foy ( 150+ followers )and the Jolly Broom Man, so I'm sure you are getting a better class of visitor through them - I think that's how I ended up here myself.. Anyway I'm sure your last paragraph is right, it's really all about doing what you are interested in, for your own satisfaction. If you like what you are doing, no doubt others will! Keep it up, and here's to the next 20K..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading David. The bulk of the readers don't become followers so it is difficult to know how many are 'bots and how many are flesh and blood readers. Still a hit is a hit I suppose.

    ReplyDelete