Friday 29 April 2022

2mm Altar of Freedom - recruiting the troops

 It's been a while since I posted anything about my dabblings in ACW gaming.   The interest hasn't waned but I had nothing significant to report.  Unlike the news, which must fill a certain amount of pages or a TV time slot even if there isn't any actual news, I felt no need to report that I had nothing to report!  Still here we are so there must be something to report now.  This being that I am rebasing the test figures onto 'proper' MDF bases and have a test unit of cavalry that is far superior to my home made attempts.  The bases are 60 x 30mm from Warbases.  AoF uses these as the standard for infantry, cavalry and HQs.  Generals and artillery are mounted on 30 x 30mm, although the rules do suggest that for base purists artillery should be on 60 x 60mm squares.

US dismounted cavalry ready for action

I have toned down the figure’s bases to something nearer the green of the MDF base since I took the photo above.  The figures are Irregular Miniatures from their 2mm horse and musket range.  Open order infantry to the front as dismounted troopers, horse holders behind and lastly a mounted reserve.

I have rebased the HQs as well.  Again these are from Irregular’s 2mm range.  Strips of small and large tents, Army command posts and some covered wagons.  I know the flags and flag poles are well over scale but it makes it easier to ID them on the table.  I thought about using some Sibley tents but I couldn't find a 2mm source and they were phased out from 1862 anyway so all my tents are ridge type dog tents or larger wall tents.

Various US and CSA HQs

I have also started rebasing the home made infantry blocks.  These are made with match sticks trimmed to 25mm in length glued together in pairs so each ‘rank’ of soldiers is one match stick deep.  I’ve been playing about with the printed paper skin I glue around the matches to create the look of ranks of troops. The version I’m using for the new units is slightly deeper so the two ranks appear a little wider apart.  The images aren't perfect but they are a huge amount better than the detail I could paint at this scale.

Basic Infantry bases (pre dry brush)

All the bases are textured in the same way using block paving sand which is glued to the MDF with PVA.  This is then dry brushed in olive green and for variety I add a sprinkle of Woodland Scenics' fine turf in ‘burnt grass’ colour.



1 comment:

  1. Those bases look great.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete