Sunday 1 May 2022

A bit of navel gazing

 I spent a chunk of today looking over past blog posts to see how the blog has changed over the years.  I actually found a post celebrating reaching 20,000 hits from a little over two years ago.  Since then the numbers have gone up to over 63,000 and I still have no idea which are real live human page views and which are automatic web crawlers.  I still don't have a huge number of followers and some of the names on comments from the early years have disappeared.  I suppose the same person may still be visiting under a different nom de plum but again there is no real way to tell.

Some posts are more popular than I expected currently a cold war gone hot tops the all time page view charts (This one in fact Small but Perfectly Formed: Cold War 1982 - Disaster at Ingelund (elenderilsblog.blogspot.com)) with almost 1,000 hits.  That is followed by two more after action reports one from the DBA Dark Ages campaign and the other is the Altar of Freedom taster game.  It seems that people do like a battle report.

Looking back on early blog posts I can immediately tell that my painting table is over crowded (aka a right mess) and looking a bit 'wonky'.  I suspect a post about tidying up will not be a major attraction though!

What was rather interesting is the number of blind alleys a rereading throws up.  Things that seemed to be promising that I simply lost interest in.  The ECW in Lancashire campaign for example or writing a set of WW2 rules are good examples.  There are also some successful projects like the WW1 air combat rules that just didn't generate the games I thought they would.  I suppose that Covid restrictions had something to do with this.

So going forward what is on the cards?  Well I need to do some Altar of Freedom stuff so I either need to find a remote opponent over the net or find a local player willing to try some face to face gaming.  As I have shelved the BAOR 1980s campaign them maybe a couple of World War 2 games of A Fistful of Tows might make a decent replacement.  lastly I really do need to get the DBA campaign back up and running!  the other side of this particular coin is that Mrs E and I have sponsored a Ukranian couple to stay with us and space will be at a premium so I may not be able to get the big tables set up.  I'm also more than a little worried about playing wargames while hosting people who are fleeing from an actual war.  One to move cautiously forward with I feel.

3 comments:

  1. Well done you for volunteering, that is very kind of you.
    I think that lots of us will recognize ourselves in some of your post - losing interest in very viable projects, not continuing to exploit a project to the full when it was looking very promising and so on. I think the only way to avoid this is to really focus one a small number of periods only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you mate for the Ukraine sponsorship. By the way you’ve got more followers than me - so don’t be downhearted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good of you to host a family from Ukraine. Hopefully anything older than 20th century will look more toy soldierish and less wargameish.

    ReplyDelete