Wednesday 18 October 2023

I'm not a well man, Carstairs!

Back in the far off days of my youth I read a set of humorous short stories about mountaineering which I can now find no trace of using my Google-Fu.  The two central characters were a pair of Brits; Carstairs and Carruthers.  One of the running jokes was that Carruthers was always complaining of various ailments while actually having the constitution of an ox (do people still say that?).  His running refrain being "I'm not a well man Carstairs" before successfully performing some herculean feat of physical performance.

Well here is the thing, unlike Carruthers, it turns out I actually am not a well man at the minute (Carstairs).  Out of the blue last Friday evening  I had a 'significant cardiac event' which is medic code speak for a heart attack.  On Friday the thirteenth for God's sake how unoriginal! As a result, I was rushed into the local cardiology unit where I was fitted with two stents as soon as they wheeled me through the door.  Well not immediately they had to have a bit of a look see and poke around first, but certainly within 15 minutes of arrival!  

Thanks to the wonders of the NHS I'm now back at  home and on a recovery plan and lots of tablets ( I swear I rattle if I move about too much) but I have to avoid sitting for too long.  I have to take things easy for a week or ten days to allow the stents to bed in which will have an impact on research and blogging,  Tabletop gaming is right out for the present as well.  Oh the joys of getting old ....... getting, be honest you are there already - it's the joys of getting even older now!  

But fear not dear reader I feel fine as a result of the stenting and will be back in full harness before too long.







8 comments:

  1. Bloody hell mate. Sorry to hear that. Take it very VERY easy from here on in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your SCE old chap. Hurrah for the NHS and not being crippled financially/facing higher premiums as a result. Hopefully you’ll be back in the saddle soon.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there. Done that. Have the stents to prove it! Get well, my friend.
    Friday the 13th, that is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your up and about again, take it easy and look after yourself .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that, glad that you and the doctors rolled well on the saving throws, so to speak. Look after yourself, go easy and here's to a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your recovery continues well.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. That is sudden but glad you have the stents and will be back at it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bugger - that would certainly give you pause for thought! Hope all comes right, and you have many more years of wasting valuable time playing with toy soldiers ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete