Not that you probably spotted that I was away! Mrs E and I took the caravan to a rather nice caravan site between Keswick and Penrith for a few days R & R. No TV very little internet connectivity and no blogging. It was very relaxing. The weather was kind and mostly only rained at night. There is something very soothing about the sound of rain on a caravan roof, as long as you are inside the caravan at the time of course. Our dog enjoyed the experience of running around in Crow Park and swimming in a couple of lakes and almost everywhere was dog friendly. If you are in Keswick I can strongly recommend The eatery next to the Lakeside Theatre the food is really good and they have a few dog snacks available.
| Brougham Castle Keep |
| Another view of the Castle |
On the military front we visited Brougham Castle (pronounced Broom, so I suspect JBM has had a hand in this). Carlisle Castle was closed while were there as it was before 10.00am and we got engrossed in other stuff (More food actually I can vouch for the chocolate cake in the Tullie Museum cafe). On the History front we made our annual trip to Castle Rigg Stone Circle and also took in Long Meg and her Daughters as well.
| Long Meg herself along with Mrs E and Mabel |
Other than that we walked, drank beer and ate more than we really should have done. It was horrible, honest.
| 'Surprise view' above Keswick. Derwentwater in the foreground. |
On my return my order from Commission figurines had arrived. This consisted of one pack of Infantry in Bicornes to be used as Spanish in 1805 issue uniform or as militia, one pack of French Line with Grenadiers in Bearskins to be used for Spanish Grenadiers and French Line (I mistakenly thought it was a pack consisting of just grenadiers), two Packs of Infantry in Belgique Shakos for use as Portugeuse in Barretinas, two packs of French line in Shako, and some strips of Skirmishers and generals. The skirmishers all seem to be French looking but at 6mm after a paint job I doubt anyone will be able to tell what style of Shako is portrayed.
I'm already wondering which packs would be the best bet for additional grenadiers for the Spanish, but won't be ordering anything until I have painted the 600 plus new figures that just arrived! Pictures of those will follow (eventually).
No comments:
Post a Comment