Thursday 23 July 2015

Project Naseby pt 2 - selecting the figures

So with the terrain researched it was time for me to buy some lead.  Off I went to Irregular Miniatures website with a burning desire to spend money!  Problems arose within moments as I realised that I needed to ensure that the 2mm blocks were going to have the proper footprint on the table and the website didn't (and still doesn't) provide details of the size of the castings.  A quick search on Google later and I had found the Tiny Tin Troops website: http://www.tinytintroops.co.uk/Res/2mm/2mm_blocks.htm which gave me the details I needed.  Backed up with frontages, depths and descriptions from that site I was able to decide which castings looked to be the best fit to the fighting frontages commonly quoted in the drill manuals of the period.

Not wanting to waste money I bought a few samples first before settling on the Horse and Musket range of infantry castings (BG32 48 foot in 3 ranks or BG31 48 foot in 6 ranks) for shot and the large Swiss/Landschnecht pike blogs (RBG9A&B) for the pike armed troops.  I had to trim flags off the shot castings until Irregular started to provide a version without the flags.  For the horse I used the Armoured Pistoliers (RBG31 15 horse in 3 ranks).  On top of which I used a variety of different castings for generals individual foot figures to add to bases etc.

I used one block of pike to represent 100 pike in 6 ranks and two blocks of shot to  create 100 shot in 6 ranks.  Three blocks of horse side by side give 45 horse in 3 ranks plus some individual single figures as officers to bring it up towards 50 horse per element.  A mix of artillery types was used from the renaissance list with the addition of limbers and ammunition wagons to the base to make it look like a working gun team.

As I'm blogging this in my lunch hour I don't have photos to hand so those will have to wait for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment