Monday 2 September 2019

The dead lay all around

I have been considering how to create some markers to show units who have taken 'hits' in ADLG.  Under those rules units degrade in combat rather than being pushed back or destroyed as is the case in DBA and it's offshoots like DBMM.  The downside of the extra granularity is the need to record the effect of combat.  Despite having used micro dice in my own rules for 2mm ECW I prefer a table with markers that appear to be battlefield debris or casualties where possible.

With that thought in mind I thought I would have a look at making some markers using Baccus casualty figures.  They do these as specific dark age castings and although they come with a mix of kite and round shields at 6mm scale it doesn't really show up.  There is a mix of cavalry and foot all prone and hors d'combat. I should be able to fit them onto UK 1p coins as a base with a bit of trimming.  The castings come as strips but the base between the figures is thin and easily cut back with side cutters.  I struggled a bit with the cavalry casualties as it was hard to see how the rider was laid across the horse but reading specs and the magnifier lamp helped.

Casualties clustered around a 1p coin for scale (1cm grid)
I have done without the buckets of blood and gore effect for these I don't think it adds anything.  Plus I find it hard to make it look anything other than a bit cartoonish. 

I'm considering going for one standing casualty as one hit, one prone casualty as two hits and two prone as three hits as that lets me keep to 1p basing.  I just need to source some standing 6mm casualties or kit bash some from the bits box.  But that may change if I can find a way to squeeze three figures onto each coin as I could then go for a simple count the bodies system!

No comments:

Post a Comment