Friday 30 August 2019

Some like it hot

They tell me that some people like really hot weather.  They must be the ones who don't spend bank holidays running up and down fields in woolen clothes and armour and carrying an assortment of out of date military equipment.  For those of us who indulge in military reenactment as a hobby bank holidays are usually wet.  Either from the outside in or the inside out, there doesn't seem to be any happy medium.  This last one was no exception it was a getting wet from the inside out variant which is getting more common of late.  The display on our car claimed it was 29 centigrade, in the shade maybe.  Where I was it was difficult to find shade, not even in the lee of the average re-enactor ( who is probably best described as large economy sized)*.

Still it did help build up a thirst which our Bavarian guests were keen to help us deal with.  Forty plus Bavarian Pikemen from the Memmingen Pikeniere.  Who says the EU doesn't do anything useful for British culture.  I didn't go on the field the second day.  I'd like to claim it was due to drinking prodigious quantities of Bavarian beer.  I'd like too but I can't because I was asleep by 8.00pm the heat had done for me.

Some may like it hot, but not apparently I don't.

* which reminds me that the BBC apparently turned down an offer from the Sealed Knot to provide extras for a Civil War drama with the killer put down of "Too old, Too fat".  Harsh, but sadly really rather fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment