Friday 25 October 2019

The Battle of Billington Moor - re jigging the scales

I spent last night working out a couple of representative armies for the game using the lists I created.  This came in at 36 elements a side (obvs!) and about 570 figures a side.  Working towards a headcount of about 1,000 a side means I'm working with a figure to man ratio of 1 figure to 2 men so the armies come in around 1,150 combatants each.  This is where I had to do the rejigging of the game.  The two armies could cover a table top frontage of 1.44 metres each, if no reserves are used and blades don't deploy in depth to get rear support.  Using my original three foot square game table was going to be a touch crowded at that so I needed to rethink things.

I mount 16 figures on each 40mm frontage for spears and blades in two ranks. Assuming three foot a man for spears and blades as a starting point that means that a 40mm element at 2:1 figure to man ratio covers 16 yards.

8 figures x 2 = 16 men
16 men x 1 yd each = 16 Yards....simples!

Maximum army frontage in game scales is 36 elements x 16 yards =  576 yards.  I'm missing a few steps out here regarding frontages for Horde and Psiloi but just go with me as I have assumptions about troop densities built in here.

So 1.44 metres game table equals 576 yards in reality (and yes I know I'm mixing imperial and metric measurements here but stick with me) so 1 metre on the table equals 400 yds of real ground.  The maximum army frontages are 576 yards so the table needs to be at least 1.5 metres square or 600 yards square to scale.  Now that may sound tight but allowing for blades deploying in depth, camp guards and reserves ( Ok probably no reserves these are wargamers we are dealing with after all) the frontages will be less perhaps around a metre or so. The map is going to have to be rescaled in relation to the tabletop to make this work.

Fortunately that wasn't too hard.  Splitting the original squares into nine smaller squares was sufficient.  Each square is roughly 400 yards game scale and 50cms on the table.  Giving us a table of 1.5 square metres or 600 square yards and the figures will fit.  Yes there is a bit (a lot) of fudging with the map but it now all comes together in a reasonable approximation of the correct frontages on the ground without needing a huge table.  The defender can still choose their ground using any 9 map squares which form a larger 3 x 3 square.  I already have the ground picked for my play test.

No comments:

Post a Comment