Sunday 23 February 2020

Back to the front - a short update

All that research. all those good ideas and it turns out I'm reinventing the wheel!  A chance reply to a Facebook post this morning pointed me towards the old Avalon Hill game 'Richtofen's War' which was released about the same time as Flying Circus.  Guess what/ Someone has already published amended those rules to that game to include some special moves and added chrome to the flight model.

I'm almost certain I never saw this game but the way the special moves has been modelled is almost identical to the ideas I was working on.  So either I did see something twenty or thirty years ago and it has been lurking in my subconscious or this is a case of parallel evolution.  Either way some of my game issues have been ironed out already.  I will need to adjust the game scale so everything is in metric distances to be able to convert RW amendments to fit with my FC amendments but that will be relatively easy.  My issue with handling rate of climb and dive, energy gain and loss and even overspeed in dives is all in there too.  It evens seems to follow my approach on how to model those things.

I should have these rules wrapped up in a couple or three weeks with luck.

In other news I have to have some medical tests later this week. After which I will have to rest the arm used in the test so no typing or painting for a few days.  Blog posts will be lacking for a week or so.  Do I hear cheering in the distance?

No comments:

Post a Comment