Friday 15 May 2020

First Sight -Tumbling Dice 1/2400th Ironclads

I received my order of early Ironclads from Tumbling Dice Miniatures yesterday.  I only ordered on Monday so that's a really fast turnaround by anyone's standards.  Packaging was in a padded envelope which is more than adequate for 1/2400th ships as they are not exactly huge!

I spent a couple of hours preparing and assembling them.  Not that they needed a lot of prep work, a few lead strings from ait channels to remove and a tiny bit of flash plus smoothing the base of the huls so the fitted nice and snugly into the bases and that was it. Assembly was limited to supergluing some sails in pace and fitting the hull into the sculpted base, which was a doddle as they fit really well.


Not a great photo but this is the fleet so far.
My order covers the first Ironclad action from the ACW so I have confederate rams Virginia (ex USS Merrimac) with the Texas coming in that pack as well.  Three Monitor class ...er....Monitors so that gives me the USS Monitor (there is a pattern here don't you think), plus some steam screw gunboats and steam harbour tugs.  Then for the Great Pacific War of 1879-80 the four main Peruvian and Chilean Ironclad Frigates.  Last but not least a generic steam screw sloop. 

I have found a couple of tutorials on line for painting these so I will give it a go over the next few days.  As a bonus Mrs E thinks these are 'cute', she normally takes no interest in my gaming purchases whatsoever, so that's a major step forwards.

First go at painting them.  L-R a steam screw gunboat, CSS Virginia and USS Monitor.
I will have a go at the Pacific War ships tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment