Tuesday 1 September 2020

Random Thoughts #8 - Anticipation isn't what I hoped it would be



These are the best hot cross buns for Easter - according to experts -  CoventryLive
The offending article, or should that be tempting?
Mrs E has been the sole shopper during the coronavirus lockdown period as I have tried to avoid contact with the general populace.  She is of the opinion that this is due not so much caused by social distancing as by anti-social tendencies!  So, not having been within the mystic portals of our local Tesco supermarket for some month's you can imagine my surprise when she brought home hot cross buns, in August!

Now I'm not complaining about being the recipient of nice toasted hot cross bun at all, I like a hot cross bun in it's season. Having them available all year round did make me wonder about the nature of anticipation though.  Once upon a time a hot cross bun was a seasonal delicacy available and enjoyed in the month or so before Easter and then gone for the rest of the year.  There was a delicious anticipation in knowing that the season of cinnamony and fruited goodness was about to dawn.  That is now denied to us but were they the better for being a limited availability treat or is a year around taste of springtime a welcome bonus and anticipation can go hang?

Anticipation or no, I will be eating these all year around, just don't get me started on adding chocolate chips in place of the fruit.  Biting into one those abominations when expecting fruit and spice and getting what is a sort of second rate chocolate brioche really does ruin the anticipation! 


1 comment:

  1. I’m with you on birth counts. In principle I also think Hot Cross Buns should be restricted to Easter (growing up we only ever had them in Good Friday). But will I succumb to temptation at other times of the year? You bet!

    Hot Cross Buns = good
    Chocolate = good
    HXB + chocolate = abomination

    ReplyDelete