Sunday 20 September 2020

Random Thoughts #9 - Tee totally and totally tea

 It has been a funny old year and it doesn't show any intention of changing.  Who knew that a health crisis would develop so rapidly and have such wide ranging impacts.  My main outdoor hobby historical re-enacting simply hasn't happened this season and because I have an underlying health problem I haven't been into the office since late February either.  As a result my social interactions have been limited, to put it mildly.  No wargaming shows, no Monday Night Gaming (on a Tuesday), no friends around to the house, no going away for re-enactment weekends and worst of all (or possibly best of all) no booze.  I'm not a big drinker (for a given value of big) it's not like I'm down the pub every night, or even most nights, but I do like a social pint when there is an event to go to, like a gig or a folk night and I do like to go to the beer tent on Sealed Knot weekends to catch up with old friends.  However part of the underlying health problem means I was prescribed new medication and I positively, definitely cannot consume alcohol while on this stuff!

Here's the really weird thing though I haven't missed the demon drink.  I tried some of the alcohol free alternatives and although some are actually very good indeed (I'm looking at you Heineken 0% Lager), but it turns out that I'd rather have a cup of tea.  It seems that I don't miss the booze so much as the company that goes with having a few drinks.  

At the start of lockdown I started to put weight on, like many others, but with the lack of alcohol and going on a low carb diet (which is made easier without the sugar content of Rum n Coke) I have in the last two weeks regained my pre lockdown weight.  All I have to do next is get rid of the rest of what I had put on over the last decade, which turns out to be rather more than I like to admit (cough...two stones...cough).  It would be easier if I was allowed to go to the gym (really, I'm not lying) or do vigorous exercise (I'm really not meant to) so I just have to rely on will power to get the pounds off.  But at least I don't have to worry about post pub munchies anymore.  It turns out that sugar is more addictive than booze!

Hello My Name is Elenderil and I'm a chocoholic!

1 comment:

  1. Funnily enough I thought I was a chocoholic but I had hardly any for 3 months and I didn’t miss it. As for weight and exercise, in my experience just exercising is a pretty ineffective way to lose weight. The only way I lose weight is to eat less. If I exercise more I just eat more!

    ReplyDelete