Thursday 26 November 2020

Random thoughts #11 - when funerals outnumber weddings

 That's when you know age is catching up with you, or so said my old Grandad.  Like much of his received wisdom this turns out to be truer then I should like.  No weddings this year but three funerals all of which I had to attend virtually via video feed.  I'd like to say technology is defeating lockdown but it really isn't.  There is no chance to get together after the funeral and have a wry smile over the long gone antics of the dear departed, you know those 'do you remember when [insert name here] did [insert weird shit [insert name here] did 40 plus years ago] moments.

Which led me to wonder what would the random weird thing be that comes up at my post funeral get together.  It's not like there isn't a good selection to choose from!

4 comments:

  1. I’m sure they’ll find something nice to say about you old fruit.

    For my part I’m hoping that they will confirm my 1999 prediction that my cause of death was a Greg’s steak bake. On my tombstone I’ve already left instructions for them to carve game over player one - insert coin to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you JBM. I like that as an memorial, also a favourite film of mine as a bonus.

      Delete
  2. In my case it’s a subject I’d rather as left until after I was gone! I’d like to forget about the daft stuff I’ve done 😄.
    You know you’re getting old when there are more funerals than divorces amongst your peers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case those things are mostly filed in the 'well it seemed like a good idea at the time' drawer and the balance will be found in the cabinet marked 'well of course a drink had been taken'.

      Delete