Monday 28 December 2020

Made it! - I beat the lead pile!


There is nothing like leaving things to the last minute, is there?

I set myself the challenge of painting more figures than I bought in 2020.  That meant I needed to paint and base 758 6mm figures, I know some people could do that in a couple of weeks. but for me this is a biggie!  In 50 years of wargaming I have never before ended a year with less unpainted figures than I started with!

I finished and based a couple of DBA elements of early Byzantine Skoutatoi.  I need to texture the base but they are eligible for use under my house rule of no unpainted lead on the table for solo games.  As an aside I have finally found a way of using yellow that will not allow darker colours to show through.  The answer is to use a coat of pale sand or tan yellow over the darker colour then the bright yellow over that.  not my own discovery but something from one of the pro painters out there.  As I type this I am ahead by 5 figures overall but I have three days still to go.


And here they are the first over the finishing line.


 

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! To put that into perspective, 758 is over 30 of my SYW infantry regiments, or 20 of my ECW battalia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for kind words chaps. Nundunket I hadn't thought of it in those terms. As a minimum it is the equivalent of 48 DBA elements or 4 DBA armies. Slightly more in actual fact as there is a lot of horse flesh in the total and I only put 10 figures on a base for those as against 16 for most close order foot.

    ReplyDelete