Tuesday 14 September 2021

More WW1 airpower acquired

Although I haven't played a game of my expanded version of SPI's Flying Circus for a while I couldn't pass up the offer of free reinforcements to the air fleet. A friend in the Sealed Knot had inherited some 1/300th aeroplanes and was happy to pass them on to someone with an interest in using them. So of course I stepped forwards.  I was able to gift some old Ral Partha fantasy figures in return so balance was maintained. we agreed to bring our respective spare minis to the next Sealed Knot event and then of course the minor matter of a global pandemic intervened so it was almost two years before the swap could be made.

A decent selection of additional air assets 

The models are in need of a tiny bit of TLC, but not much a they are painted to a reasonable standard and I'd like to keep them as the original owner intended.   I need to create a top wing for the Gotha GV re-glue a few wings and add struts to about a dozen models but that’s about all that needs doing.  There are a good mix of aeroplanes including some I didn't previously have such as the Gotha and some Pfalz D types.  I’m not sure who the manufacturer of the models was I can see that they are not current H&R style castings as they have cast on under carriages and struts.  The struts are cast in the same style as Irregular Miniatures but these are slightly smaller.  They have the name of the 'plane inscribed under the wings which I haven't seen on any of my other ones.  Not that it matters, they are the right scale and will soon be brought back to fully serviceable standards.  Which in turn will incentivise me to start painting the remaining H&R models I have. 

New and old merged into the collection of finished aircraft

So I now have a good selection of aeroplanes covering late 1915 right up to the end of the war.  With about half as many again to paint besides the ones in the second photo.  Time to fire up the motors and kick the chocks away.




No comments:

Post a Comment