Tuesday 19 March 2024

it's all gone a bit quiet!

I'm currently writing a post about the Swedish Army as part of the series on early 17th century armies.  It's taken me down a couple of new rabbit holes and is proving to be as complicated to write as the Spanish article was!  I have quickly realised that what I knew about Swedish Formations and tactics was only the very small tip of a very large iceberg!  While these are very interesting rabbit holes they have forced me to totally rework what I had written to date so as to add the new information and have things hang together in a way which I am happy with.

So while you are waiting here is a link to an excellent PhD thesis on the battlefield archaeology of the battlefield of Lutzen which I stumbled across,  It includes really useful information on how the Swedish army developed  during Gustavus Adolphus' reign, how it was deployed and how it fought at Lutzen.   It discusses the value of the various sources of information and references a number of useful looking information on the Swedish army in the TYW.   Enjoy.

core.ac.uk/download/pdf/293048746.pdf

The next post on 17th Century armies should be along shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment