Thursday 13 June 2024

Fast play Pike & Shot - clarifications and Q&A

I promised to answer any questions and post clarifications to the fast play pike and shot rules, so here we go.  I'm going to post all clarifications and answers to questions by updating this post so you may want to book mark it.

13 June 2024

Q - Does a loss of confidence have any impact on combat or movement?  If it does wouldn't it be better to have two rally phases one for each player?

A- No it doesn't, so there is no disadvantage to only having one joint rally phase.

Q - Do I have to use the suggested 7.5 x 5 cm bases?

A - No as long as they fit into the squares with a bit of space all around them you can go bigger or smaller.  For that matter you can vary the size of the game grid too if you want to use larger figure scales, You will just need a bigger playing area to allow the minimum grid dimensions to fit.

Clarification - Calculating unit statistics and cavalry frontages.

As I came to generate the first army list I realised that I had created two problems.  One was that the calculation of unit statistics was very confusing (I even confused my self TBH) and secondly the frontage for cavalry mounted as a brigade was too narrow.  I will rewrite the part of the design notes on unit statistics later today if you only intend using my lists it's not that big an issue but if you want to create your own it probably is!.  For cavalry frontages I'm going to try putting a single squadron on a standard base rather than a 'brigade'.  I might need to change the way I calculate cavalry statistics as making the formations smaller reduces their effectiveness a lot.

18 June 2024

Addition - Ultra light artillery

These are things like frame guns, robinettes and Swedish short barrel 3pdrs.  I have been mulling over how to model these.  This is what I came up with where an infantry brigade has these attached then they add plus one to a single dice in shooting.  For example a brigade has three shooting dice and rolls a six a four and a one (needing a five or six to cause hits) one of those rolls can have plus one applied which in this case would be the four.  If the rolls were three, three and one than the artillery has had no effect as the best uplift would be to a four which is still a miss.  Stand alone ultra light artillery can fire in support to any adjacent brigade's shooting in the same way as an attached gun.

Addition - Commanded shot attached to cavalry.

I'm not sure about this as these tended to be small units of around 50 shot.  But a cavalry squadron split into three or four divisions could have a hundred shot or more attached sat in the gaps between troops,  so I'm going to try this.  If the cavalry is the defender and still has shot attached it adds one to a single close combat dice (same system as for attached artillery above).  However, the shot may only advance with the cavalry if it moves only one square.  If cavalry are pushed back in combat the shot is 'killed' if they use the additional movement for charging the shot disperses.  Either way the bonus plus one can not be used again.  Killed or dispersed commanded shot does not count as a loss for deciding if an army has been beaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment