Like what you may wonder? As well as what happened 'just like that'? Or maybe not of course. You may recall that I was bemoaning the lack of local wargaming opponents and saying how I had taken a chance on sticking my head over the parapet to ask on a local Facebook page if there were any local wargamers in my small slice of North Lincolnshire. The answer appears to be no and that the nearest historical gaming groups are either in Hull or Grimsby. As a result I resigned myself to solo gaming for the foreseeable future.
Well 'just like that' I had a message from an ex member of Hull University Wargaming Club firstly asking if the same chap who had been a member back in the mid 1970's. The answer being yes I was indeed a member some fifty years ago. It turns out the ex member (no names no pack drill applies as not everyone wants their details splashing all over the net) was still in touch with a couple of gamers from back then and that they had been getting together for games meet ups. The amazing bit being he lives less than fifteen miles away. As a result I have an invite to a three day gaming session later this month and I'm in touch with some friends I haven't seen in half a century!
I don't think it will be figure gaming as the people concerned were fans of the hex map strategy games especially the really huge ones. War in Europe was a favourite although they did draw the line at SPI's Campaign for North Africa. But hey a wargame is a wargame on a table with figures or on a hex map with counters. Watch this space for a follow up game report towards the end of the month.
No comments:
Post a Comment