Also known as MDF, a strange material made of wood fibres, resin and wax. It contains Formaldehyde which is not a pleasant substance and sanding is not recommended as the dust is potentially hazardous, On the other hand it does make some excellent miniature figures and it's cheap (a recuring theme in my thinking you will have gathered by now!). Once laser cut and engraved by the talented Walt of Commission Figurines, painted and based by yours truly they create a rather nice effect for not a lot of time and effort.
As always with 6mm figures the trick is to paint for the overall effect of the unit once it is based up, rather than creating individual masterpieces. This especially so with the MDF figures and I have realised that painting them in an almost toy soldier style works well. To be honest there is almost no scope for traditional high lights and ink washing is pointless as there is nothing to pick out. A little creative paining of brighter shades along arms legs and shoulders some darker creases on the legs is about the best that you could do an guess what? At arms length it hardly shows up so I didn't bother. Even if I did I'd limit it to the front of the front rank and the rear of the rear rank and perhaps the left and right files outer sides.
So having made my excuses for a only using a limited paint scheme, here's what the result looks like massed together.
![]() |
| The Anglo-Spanish Army as it currently stands |
![]() |
| The gallant losers, er, I mean the French |
Last but not least I have my first unit of French foreign troops the 4th Swiss Line Infantry. Included in the front line of the above picture.
![]() |
| The Swiss, they look better at table top distance |
![]() |
| Swiss rear view |
I ran out of grenadiers in bearskins so sneaked an elite in shako figure into make up the shortfall. I'm quite taken with the red and sky blue jackets.
All for now the next post is about something completely different.




Turned out very nicely indeed!
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
Splendid looking Swiss,lovely finish!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
They look so effective and well based.
ReplyDelete