Tuesday 6 August 2019

Ambush Markers

ADLG uses some hidden deployment rules which need markers for the rough location of the unit in ambush, or blinds where they could be (but aren’t).  As I had some H&R figures that were not being used for anything I thought I could use them on the markers.  I wanted something a little better than a simple square with a ID number on it so I started to think about what might stop the other side being certain of what was in the potential ambush location.

What I came up with was the element of doubt, the 'are those troops or just bushes in the shadows/mist/gloom' factor.  To recreate that I decided that a simple paint job of Vallejo sky gray, with a black ink wash was enough for the troops it gives some detailing but overall keeps the idea of not quite being able to see what it is you are looking at idea going.  I based then with my usual fine sand textured base but painted some random gray patches rather than adding flock.and then added something to represent mist.

As luck would have it (not saying what kind of luck) George our Brittany had decided to disembowel a dog bed and I had tufts of stuffing material all over the place.  Clearly no one was going to miss a bit of that when it came to restuffing the bed so I grabbed some and added it to my bits box.
George, my able assistant and destroyer of dog beds
With a bit of teasing out it became thin enough to look vaguely like mist and a drop of glue was enough to hold it in place.  I wrote a code letter on the underside of the base and done.  I'm not claiming them as great works of art but they are good enough for a game marker.  
What's that coming over the hill, is it a dog bed, is it a dog bed?

3 comments:

  1. Very clever idea mate and it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has the virtue of being quick easy and cheap, although the cost of maintaining George (and his other canine partner in crime Barney) offsets the latter gain!

    ReplyDelete