Friday 2 August 2019

Excuses time!

I've been a bit lax with blog posts of late.  In my defence real life has intervened in the shape of work and home improvements.  On the plus side I have had the chance to play some games with Trebian's 'Monday Night Gamers' who confusingly get together on Tuesdays (see some of my earlier posts).  I have also found time and space to set up my painting table.

I have been painting some of the 6mm figures from Baccus which I have had since last year.  These are mainly figures for Viking age games for the period 795 - 1066 AD.  I'm not just working on the obvious Anglo-Saxon and Viking forces but also on the nations around the fringes.  These consist of the british remnant states of Dumnonia (in the South West of England covering modern Cornwall and parts of Devon in the 790's), the Welsh princedoms and Strathclyde.  Along with these are the two other Scottish factions of the Picts and Dal Raitian Scots, who may or may not have been one kingdom in all but name by this stage.

The range from Baccus covers almost everything I need except for Picts and Scots.  I can proxy Gothic horse and foot for generic Early Medieval types  Which covers off the limited cavalry options, only the Strathclyde Welsh seem to have had any significant heavy cavalry in this period.  The welsh have some lighter horse which I can cover using the Gothic Medium Cavalry figures from Baccus.  Their Gothic Infantry also work well as Strathclyde Welsh Pedyts (Spearmen) and Anglo Saxon General Fyrd.  Moorish Foot from the Roman range provide some nicely animated figures for the various LMI javelinmen and welsh medium Infantry types.  The Picts are provided by Irregular miniatures as are Scots - Irish swordsmen.  I'm only really left scratching around for proxy figures for the Pictish light infantry and Scots-Irish Kerns.

I'm very happy with the quality of the baccus figures and would really like to use then for everything.  If only Peter would do a Pictish range!  Irregular Miniatures are a mixed bunch some castings are as good as anyone might wish others could do with a re-sculpt.  I bought a couple of their pack mule figures which are lovely little figures with crisp clear details, although noticeably smaller than Baccus, I'm going to claim they are boys with pack ponies rather than mules!

On the terrain front I do a lot of scratch building for fields and woodland (watch this space for details of how I make these).  Buildings are from Leven Miniatures and Timecast and are sat in the paining queue.  So I have been busy just not with blogging. 
Baccus Gothic Medium Horse as Welsh Cavalry

1 comment: