Friday 13 December 2019

More Welsh

I had a couple of days leave a couple of weeks ago and between some more sorting out of my office and one of the  outside storerooms I did some figure painting.

After I posted the photos of my Welsh infantry and cavalry I realised they had no Light Infantry support.  A quick flick through the army lists for DBA 3 and ADLG showed that I could have up to four elements of light infantry Javelinmen under ADLG.  DBA with it’s smaller armies was less generous but as they also show javelin equipped Psiloi it didn't really matter.  Four units of Javelinmen it was to be.

I base Light infantry on deeper bases than the ADLG rules allow, but I’m never going to play a competition game with these armies so it doesn’t really matter.  I think the extra base depth works better then the standard depth as it creates a deeper buffer zone in front of a main battle line.  I put eight light infantry per base with 6mm figures which makes skirmisher elements fairly quick to create as there are a lot less figures to paint per element compared to the sixteen per element for the infantry in the main battleline.

The Welsh - just lacking some four legged booty
The figures are Baccus Greek psiloi with javelins which create a slightly different look to the light infantry figures I have used in my other armies as they are shieldless.  They are really nice sculpts and have two variants one is standing throwing the javelin while the other is running forward with javelin held across the body.  The nice dynamic poses work well for light infantry who should look like they dash about rather more than their more stolid brethren in the shield walls.

I'm happy with them and it has added a bit more resilience  to the Welsh army  I need to get some sheep or cattle to act as booty for them - not that I'm suggesting that Dark Age welsh were a buncj of cattle thieves or anything!.

No comments:

Post a Comment