Thursday 16 July 2020

Altar of Freedom in 2mm - The cavalry

Creating infantry units is fairly easy, after all they are pretty much a simple rectangular block of men.  Cavalry are more difficult as they are not regular shapes.  I have tried to create cavalry units in the past using bits and bobs I had to hand,  they never really convince me.  Its the look of the frontage that spoils the attempt I think.  Cavalry form up with slight gaps between each individual horse and I am not going to sculpt dozens of individual 2mm horses, that way madness, or more accurately further madness, lies.  On the other hand creating the files rather than the ranks causes issues with the look of the flanks as there are also gaps between the ranks.

The side profile I can live with
The current solution is to use two matchsticks glued together along the long edges as the body of the horses in the unit.  This creates the start of a single rank of horsemen.   Glued between those is a slightly taller  bit of card with  a printed rank of riders glued to  it.  The heads of the horses are then created by gluing a long strip of card along the front edge of the resulting block.  This is the bit that spoils the look of the thing for me.  It doesn't look like a row of individual horse heads.  That said I really don't want to have to cut and glue lots of individual heads on, even assuming that I could cut them out in the first place!

Its that one big horse head that I don't like!
Ideas are to try some kind of pinking shears to create a zig-zag edge, but I have concerns that the angles will not be right and the distances from point to point (I'm sure there is a really bad horsey pun to be had there) will be too large.

I don't need huge numbers of cavalry and I could always buy some but having started so well with Infantry I'd like to find a solution to making the cavalry.  I'm open to ideas here.

No comments:

Post a Comment