Friday 10 July 2020

Project updates

I seem  to have been a bit scatter brained of late with new projects starting that were not on my radar at the start of the year..  Other things that I intended to do have stalled, so at the half way point of the year, it seems like a good time to take stock.

I was going to try out Seven Years War gaming and created some paper figures to do that.  So a win for creating the figures but after that I didn't actually play a test game!  I may come back to this I have the rules and the armies I just need the motivation to try a game.  Replacing the 7YW project on the front burner has been a later linear warfare period; the American Civil War.  I have the rules (Altar of Freedom) and perhaps more importantly an understanding of the tactics and grand tactics of the conflict.  As I have mentioned before it is also a period I have gamed in the past using a set of rules from the 1970s called 'Circa 1863' these were set at regimental level and required a lot of record keeping, I have hopes that the more abstract system in AoF will be more engaging.

On the figure painting front things are more positive.  I have finished converting my Late Imperial Roman DBA army to an all Baccus force.  The Picts and Scots-Irish DBA armies are completed and I have made a start on extending the Picts back to the earlier period army list by adding more chariots to the queue on the painting table.  Both of these are Irregular Miniature armies.  I do like the chariots and will probably order some more to flesh out the Scots-Irish to cover the early period for them too.  So that's three things off my to do list there.  There has been some scope drift though as I have started to increase the Late Imperials to create an ADLG baseline army at 200pts.  The Sassanids are already completed as a 200 point ADLG point force.

Early Sassanid Persians for ADLG completed 
Video Fly by of the Sassanids

The ACW Ironclads are finished too but I need to complete the Chilean and Peruvian Ironclads for the Great Pacific War.  The ACW ironclads might feature in Altar of Freedom games in due course.  So lets call that fifty percent success to date.

ACW Ironclads plus some tugs and a sloop in the rear
I'm calling the World War One dogfight rules done now, as I have finalised some spotting rules I can live with and have amended the rules for rear gunners to make them a less effective.
Oh and I got bored so I made a Barker Marker and recoil gauge for DBA

The list of unfinished projects isn't getting any shorter though as I keep getting tempted.  So there are still a number of World War One aircraft needing painting and there is a list of extra ones I need when Heroics and Ros reopen that list for new purchases.  I have read that this is likely to be early in July.  There are some building and modelling projects linked to the ACW that I need to get under way so I can try out AoF. Oh and that Dark Ages campaign isn't going to play itself.



2 comments:

  1. I found AOF a cracking game. Quite difficult at first to get my head round the basic mechanism, but once it was lodged in the noggin the games tripped along. If you like your games with a fair dollop of frustration (and I mean that in a good way) AOF is the business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was what attracted me to the rules they had a nice system for handling C&C issues. Its simple and elegant in its simplicity as it has created a tactical game within the game. It reflects time pressure on the making of decisions in what seems to be a way that while not real simulates the effect of time getting away from a General..

    ReplyDelete