Thursday 11 March 2021

T-62 tank order has arrived

For the last week I have been waiting for the last bit of my Magister Militum order to arrive a pack of 15 T-62s.  They had to reorder from O8 in Poland.  Waiting for Soviet tanks from the east, it sort of sums up NATO's position in a sentence.

T-62s - nice castings aren't they

Like the other Oddzial Osmy castings these are flash free and beautifully crisp.  It really is remarkable what the sculptor has achieved in a 1/600th scale casting.  I'm using these to depict a tank company in a Motorised Rifle Regiment which consisted of three platoons of 4 tanks each plus one HQ tank, I'm leaving out the soft skin truck for the admin crew as these normally stayed at battalion HQ during an attack.

This means that I have a British Tank Squadron with Chieftain Mk5 (14 tanks) paired with a mechanised Infantry Company mounted in FV432s to mix and match and a the same for the Soviets but with T-62s and BTR-70s.  That should give me the basics to try the free version of FFOT3 rules out.  I have already painted and based the Chieftains and one Platoon of infantry for the British so its on to the Soviets next.

It is noticeable that the T-62 is a smaller tank than the Chieftain even at 3mm size.  Painting should be easy enough as early 80's Russian kit was mainly in plain green.  I just need to get the right shade sorted out as I'm not totally convinced by the shade I trialled on the first BTR-70.  Not to worry though as I will come up with something.


BTR-70 this is not the green I'm looking for, but it can pass

2 comments: