Friday 5 March 2021

3mm tanks - second try at basing.

 After yesterday's horrible basing mess, I thought to try a different approach so I over painted the horrid green with a more muted tone and added some of my bock paving sand and flock from my 6mm basing supplies.  It's not in the least realistic but it does work a lot better than the olive green.

I'm not ashamed of the basing now!

I also hit the painted tanks with a light wash of my old favourite Agrax Earthshade which reduced the contract between the green and the black in the cammo scheme.  As I have mentioned before it also matts down the finish which is a bonus.

The base is a UK 1p coin 20mm diameter

The painting took almost no time at all under coat in white, top coat of Russian Uniform, the black pattern is German Grey with a tiny bit of Sky Grey mixed in to lighten it the thermal wrap on the gun barrel is Khaki and the dry brush was Bone White (which is actually a nice buff colour) all Vallejo acrylics.  I'm very happy with the results.

One thing I have learned is that getting a good picture of the painted tanks is tricky.  Finding someplace with a good light source is key.  Even daylight on a dull day (as it is today) doesn't create the candle power required!  Then getting my phone's auto focus to target the right point took several goes.  I really need a light box and to get my digital camera out.







3 comments:

  1. Looking good! Amazing detail on such small models.

    I’m half tempted to try a 1:2:1 troop scale in that scale. Maybe Ancients. I haven’t got any Ancients and a phalanx might look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m building a 1:2:1 squadron of Chieftains so that’s 14 tanks in total. I’m completely amazed with the level of detail packed into the sculpts.

    Have you seen the 3D printed phalanx fromForward March Studios 2mm range? It is tempting!

    ReplyDelete