Thursday 4 November 2021

More on the 2mm ECW project

I am making progress on this, again!  My handwritten amendments on the last printed version are being added to the MS Word version and I have learned how dynamic cross links are meant to work in Word.  I say supposed to work as I haven't actually tried that out yet but will be doing so in the next few days once all the amendments are done.

The exciting part is that an initial version has gone out for playtesting with the Jolly Broom Man doing the initial honours.  So far he hasn't said he never wants to see them ever again which is a positive and he has been able to play a game just from the written rules, so what I have written must be partially intelligible!  JBM has asked a couple or ten questions to clarify some points which is, of course, the whole point of play testing.

The last technical issue I am wrestling with in the game mechanics is calculating the extent of dead ground behind hills when observers and observed are at different heights and distances to an intervening hill.  I hate trigonometry and consider that it has no place in a set of rules so I'm working out a fudge to give some kind of approximation to the real answer.  I could suggest the use of laser pointers, periscopes or mobile phone cameras but I suspect it would create arguments about the accurate placement of whatever tool is used.  I may go for the low tech solution of a piece of string as a testing device yet!

Other than that, unless JBM spots any mayor issues, the rules are about there which will allow me to reduce the deficit in the 2021 to do list.  On that topic I really need to start painting again before I forget which end of the paint brush to use!


2 comments:

  1. It’s been a pleasure mate, and as soon as I get over the ruddy nasty cold I picked up a few days ago - I’ll have another go. I’ve re read them a few times and will play them in a less vanilla setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came across some interesting research on Imperial/Spanish school of tactics as used at Lutzen in a Phd thesis I found on line. The data will pretty much give me the last bits I need to extend the mechanisms into the TYW. I will be blogging about the findings in a few days once I have mulled them over and reread the paper.

    ReplyDelete