Wednesday 20 October 2021

2mm ECW rules update

 I really don't recall when I first started work on these, other than to say I'm pretty sure it was this century sometime!  Probably around 2004 if I'm honest.  The original idea was to create a set of rules to allow a refight of Naseby using 2mm figures, with a 1:1 relationship between figures, unit foot prints and terrain.  The initial ideas were based on the use of Irregular Miniatures blocks so figure removal was never an option and I turned to a reducing willingness to fight as a measure of a unit's degrading combat effectiveness.  Some of the terrain effects were intended to replicate the impact of the terrain at Naseby and I only really looked at the weapons in use in the major field armies, at least to start with.  As these things do a hint of madness crept in, the pursuit of the one ruleset to rule them all kind of thing, and I started to expand the scope of the basic design.

There have been a couple of lengthy hiatuses in the development of the rules and a lot of new sets have come and gone in the mean time.  I have since retiring actually been working on bringing the loose collection of concepts and mechanisms into a coherent system, or at least what I think is a coherent system.   I have simplified aspects, notably the combat mechanisms and simplified terminology in places but the core systems and concepts have stood up remarkably well to a couple of decades of visiting and revisiting.

As a result I'm going through a final  editing process before passing copies out for play testing.  It will be a while yet as I'm not the fastest typist and I struggle with the section numbering system in Word, but what I am doing now is tidying up not redesigning.  So if anyone would like to assist with play testing please let me know via my google email account as shown at the top of the page.

3 comments:

  1. Count me in. I’ve my own set in production and I’d happily help out playtesting yours. Obviously I have the 2mm units too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I have them finalised I will send a copy over. BTW I have held back the comment with your contact info but I do have the email address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Would be great to hear how these are coming along. I’m always keen to playtest and proofread - even a bit of formatting if that helps? Followed your gaming with great interest over the years. Cheers Alan

    ReplyDelete