Tuesday 3 May 2022

6mm World War 2

My first foray into proper wargaming was World War Two using Airfix soldiers and models as recommended by Charles Grant in his rules 'Battle'. I still have one or two of the figures I used in the spares box somewhere. At university a couple of people were gaming WW2 using 1/300th micro armour and the WRG rules. These games always seemed to end up with a German 'super tank' chasing a lone Sherman around a terrain feature trying to get a kill shot. Clearly we ignored any difficult concepts like morale! The Grant rules especially left an indelible impression as they didn't so much say what you should do under the rules but rather why the rules worked the way they did so the player knew why they should do things the way the rules wanted (or how to change them to allow other outcomes). Over the intervening 40 plus years I have dabbled with WW2 from time to time, but never as a primary project.

A few years ago I had one of those bursts of enthusiasm and obtained an early war German tank battalion made up of 1/300th Heroics and Ros models.  This was supported by a couple of infantry companies and various support vehicles and units.  I also made a start on some British stuff (I have a soft spot for those early war cruiser tanks with all those A numbers) .  So with the WW3 project shelved it's time to bring the 1940 kit out of hibernation.  As a taster here is a sample of the Nasty side!

Sample of the kit the Wehrmacht will bring to table!

In the above photo are single examples of SIG33 self propelled artillery, Panzerjaeger I, STuG IIIB and Panzer III and IV.  The infantry are based as platoons (I forget the German term) of two rifle sections and two LMG sections.  At the rear is a 50mm mortar team and the Platoon HQ.  As with my Altar of Freedom figures I'm probably going to rebase these at some point.  I know that many people dislike basing 6mm vehicles but it prevents the wheel hub to wheel hub deployment seen with some rules and protects the models by giving something to pick the thing up by.

I will post some more images of the German forces in the next few days.  The British are coming (as the man said) but at present I only have Home Guard stuff painted and based.  There are some oddball vehicles in that collection so you have something to look forward to.


3 comments:

  1. Will we be seeing a Sealion campaign?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were originally bought for a Seelowe Nord campaign based upon a book where the invasion comes on the Yorkshire coast. It interested me as the fighting described was all in places I knew really well having lived in the area for most of the time since leaving University.

      I'm a little nervous of starting another solo campaign ATm so it will be stand alone games for now.

      Delete
  2. Had that book too. Stand-alone games are just as good as a campaign!

    ReplyDelete