Sunday 15 May 2022

Still re-basing!

 Did I mention that I hate rebasing?

Almost done though and I have come up with a system which makes things faster.  By cutting the figures off their old base and trimming any excess card from the old base then covering the entire  new MDF base with PVA allows me to position the matchstick infantry and then cover the rest of the MDF in sand all in one stage.  Obvious when I think about it.  For new figures coming off the production line that has been a two stage job in the past because the matchsticks need to be glued to a base to get the printer wrapper (with the soldiers on) to sit neatly.  I'm thinking that I might be able to do something similar with those too, by lightly basing the match sticks to card while I do the paper wrap and then moving them to the MDF base.  Sounds time consuming but it makes the stage where the sand is added much simpler.

In other news the Memsahib was away for the weekend looking after two of the grandchildren while their parents were at a wedding.   Which actually cuts down on my hobby time as I need to keep our two dogs' creativity within reasonable bounds (Nose art added to windows, bits of chew toy fragments everywhere you get the drift) and let them in and out (and in and out) feed and water them, and generally tidy up after them.  Compared to our dogs three year olds are a doddle!

 

Barney pretending to be cute, don't fall for it!

and George surrounded by the fruits of his creativity

Still I managed to tidy my desk which I have been meaning to do for a while.  Not quite sure what to term it now as it is no longer a work desk/work station and mostly I play computer games, write blog posts and research stuff sat at it.  A post retirement hobbies desk really doesn't sound right!

I also caught up on some reading, in this case Simon Macdowell's excellent trilogy on the 'barbarians' who brought Rome to it's knees in the 4th and 5th centuries; The Goths, The Vandals and the Franks.  Well worth a read.  I have finished the Goths, and am half way through the Vandals with the Franks still to start. I'm also rereading a classic Science Fiction novel  Joe Haldeman's 'The Forever War' which I found hard going in places the first time I read it.  It is a lot less confusing on a second reading, the books the same so my perception of the stories themes must have changed over the intervening years.   I'm told that it's really about the US troop's experience of the Viet Nam war but other than the overarching disconnect between combat troops and civilians it's not really obvious.  Still I wasn't there (man!) so I'm not equipped to spot the subtle connections.  It does have some interesting things to say about the time dilation effect and how that might impact strategy in an interstellar war.  Again well worth a read.

So that was my weekend taken care of.  How was yours'?


4 comments:

  1. I think dogs have evolved this cuteness so we tolerate their more ‘creative’ moments as you term it. 😄 It’s a bloody effective strategy too. I bet you can’t be cross with them for long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS it’s Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine was spent trying (and failing) to paint tartan kilts on 10mm miniatures. Thanks for asking! Your dogs are lovely but they sound like even more work than my cat. Mind you I doubt they’d jump up on your gaming area and chew the miniatures - so that’s a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George went through a phase of taking my home made trees (The alder cone ones) and chewing them. He drew the line at the model railway ones on wire brush armatures, after a couple of tries! A bit rough even on a Brittany's digestion.

      Tartan in 10mm? Micro tip pens might be a solution. I bought a set of 0.4 mm nib ones at Tesco which claim to have indelible ink. They are describes as 'fineliners'. Might be worth a try

      Delete